Sunday, February 3, 2008

Interlude

I just realized I got a few comments in January, so hi to readers and sorry for not noticing you there! I'm gonna post more shortly but here's a few thoughts...

I actually got several Stephen King movies for Christmas, and I have been planning entries, so you can look forward to seeing those soon. I'll start with The Shining, both Kubrick's and King's versions. I must say that I don't like a lot of the film versions though, so don't expect super-favorable posts. Actually, I saw 1408 just this week, and I haven't read the story, which bugs. I loved the movie, and it was very scary for me. I think I will try and find that short story and blog about that too.

I saw The Golden Compass, but the books are predictably checked out at the local library. I will say that I became very interested in reading them. The movie was interesting and presented a lot of what I thought were fairly new ideas - a girl in the lead; the daemons; the barely touched upon topic of the parallel universes, and so forth. I was disappointed in the length of the movie, though, 90 minutes is way too hurried for a movie like this. I mean, Lord of the Rings took three hours per movie, and still wasn't as detailed as the books. While it had a hurried and cut-off feel, it wasn't a bad movie by any means and I loved the performance of Dakota Blue Richards in the lead. I feel like the story was merely scraped on the surface, and yet I got a very positive idea of the books based on the movie. Good fantasy movies serve to illustrate the book and give way to new interpretations, but less successful ones can still serve as teasers for the book. Which is a value in itself, I think.

2 comments:

Anniee451 said...

Ok lady, but if you think you're going to sneak anything past a die-hard Stephen King fan since 1978, you've got another think coming. Hehe. Seriously, though, I would hope to be able to add to the conversation as I've read like everything he's written only about 8 bazillion times. Don't even get me started on 1408. I wish to heck you'd read it before watching the movie of the same name (which has nothing to do with the story.) But yes, do read it even so. And please put the movie OUT of your mind when you do! If that's possible. It's not remotely related. Hope you like intellectual tangling (if King can be called intellectual - er, which I say he can, so yay!) This is a great blog idea, so kudos :)

Deniselle said...

I was actually able to find the book and I will be reading it on Monday. It just has an inane name in Finnish - "The Highway Virus on its Way North" - so I wasn't able to locate it. The movie's still in my mind though, and I don't think I can shake it. I've been thinking of it every night for the last few weeks. We'll see how the story affects me.